Labels

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday Tip: No Family Style Meals

It has been awhile since I shared a tip.

Sorry about that.

So here's a good one that's worked for me.

Stop serving meals family style.


I know.

I worked hard on that meal. Maybe even spent a significant amount of time thinking of it, planning it, and preparing it.

I'll admit, I want to display it.

It's picturesque, sitting there in the middle of the table, hot, fresh from the oven, sitting in it's pretty little serving dish.

It looks fabulous!

And that's exactly the problem.

As it sits there, I can't help but look at it and think of how good it looks. As I polish off the last couple of bites I start feeling remorse because I see all that food still sitting there and I think of how good it tastes.

Just a small spoonful more, I tell myself. I am still a little hungry.

But the fact is...I'm really not. My tastebuds simply want more flavor. And it's just sitting there, a simple arm reach away. It's just too easy for me to give into temptation and take more.

And so I stopped serving meals that way. Now our meals stay on the stove. I'll dish myself up there, following the correct portion size recommendations, and then take my plate to the table.

I'm no longer as tempted to take seconds because I have to get up and go over to dish them.

And yes, I'm just that lazy. If it takes extra work to get more, I'm simply much less likely to do it.

Give it a try this week! It may just work for you too.

3 comments:

Little Yancey Family said...

Good tip, though I can tell you, if you were an awful cook like me this wouldn't be a problem. :)

Sara said...

Oh, Rachel! I've HAD your cooking and it is NOT awful. :) Nice try.

Alexanders said...

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to have to try it out. :) BTW I have missed reading your tips.